The Water Margin
This is a modified version of the yuan-ti pureblood as they appear in the Monster Manual.
The yuan-ti are descended from humans whose bloodlines have been mingled with those of snakes. Their evilness, cunning, and ruthlessness are legendary.
Personality: Yuan-ti constantly scheme to advance their own dark agendas. They are calculating and suave enough to form alliances with other evil creatures when necessary, but they always put their own interests first.
Physical Description: Yuan-ti purebloods appear human at first glance, with only very subtle snakelike features.
A pureblood is about the same height and weight as a human.
Relations: Yuan-ti purebloods are arrogant and convinced of their own superiority, but they usually excel at concealing such traits. They can be very congenial when they wish, and thus they usually get along well with humans and dwarfs — at least, until their true nature becomes known. Elves, thri-kreen, aarakocra, halflings, and pterrans usually assume that yuan-ti purebloods are simply humans with slightly odd physical characteristics and mannerisms.
Alignment: Yuan-ti are often cunning, subtle, and eager to gain personal power. Yuan-ti are generally not above double-crossing their own allies if the opportunity would provide them with a chance for personal advancement. Most yuan-ti have chaotic and evil tendencies.
Yuan-ti Pureblood Lands: The yuan-ti have no homelands of their own. Most often, small clutches of yuan-ti will reside in a city-state, with small boltholes in nearby places. Yuan-ti shun the deep deserts because there is nobody to manipulate and no way to gain followers and influence from those places.
Religion: Most of the yuan-ti are serpent cultists who revere the ideology of the serpent as a keeper of mysteries and poisons. A few rare yuan-ti practice the druidic ways, but almost always with a bent toward poisoning and subordinating the spirits of the land to their serpent cults. Elemental clerics are almost unknown among the yuan-ti, as their subservience to their masters takes precedence over any allegiance to the elemental lords.
Language: Yuan-ti purebloods speak the sibiliant tongue of their monstrous kin, but most also adopt the dialects of the human city-states with perfect pronunciation, the better to fit in among “mundane” humans.
Names: Yuan-ti usually have two or three syllable names, generally very sibilant.
Adventurers: Yuan-ti purebloods who reject the doctrines of their cults, or who clash with the orders of their superiors, may sometimes strike out to form their own cults. A yuan-ti who rejects cult doctrine and strikes out on his or her own is usually in danger from other yuan-ti, and thus may assemble a circle of allies for protection.
Yuan-ti Pureblood Racial Traits
- +2 Intelligence. Yuan-ti purebloods prize their intellectual superiority over humans.
At 7th level, a yuan-ti pureblood gains a +2 bonus to either Charisma or Dexterity (player’s choice). At 10th level, a yuan-ti pureblood gains a +2 bonus to either Charisma or Dexterity (whichever was not chosen previously).
- Medium: As Medium creatures, yuan-ti purebloods have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Because they aren’t humanoids, yuan-ti purebloods are immune to spells such as charm person and hold person.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Yuan-ti purebloods have a base land speed of 30 feet.
- +1 natural armor.
- Psi-Like Abilities: Yuan-ti purebloods gain the ability to detect poison at will, as a psi-like ability. Yuan-ti purebloods also gain the ability to use the alternate form power as a psi-like ability, to turn into a Tiny viper. At 7th level, the pureblood can turn into a Small or Medium-sized viper, and at 10th level, the pureblood can turn into a Large viper. These abilities are usable at will.
- Inborn Power: Yuan-ti purebloods gain 3 extra power points at 1st level, regardless of whether they choose a psionic class or not. They can use the power points provided to manifest psionic charm or demoralize. If you take levels in a class that offers a repertoire of psionic powers, simply add the 3 power points to your power point total, and add your inborn power to your list of powers known. Yuan-ti purebloods use their inborn power at a manifester level equal to their character levels. They use Charisma to set the save DC unless they have levels in a psionic class such as psion that uses a different ability score to set the DC. In that case, they choose either Charisma or the psionic class’s relevant ability score to set the save DC.
At 7th level, yuan-ti purebloods add animal trance and entangle to their list of available powers, and gain an additional 3 power points. (These powers function as the spells of the same name, but are manifested as psionic powers.) At 10th level, yuan-ti purebloods add darkness to their list of available powers, and gain an additional 3 power points.
- Power Resistance: At 7th level, purebloods gain power resistance of 5 + character level. At 10th level, this improves to 10 + character level.
- Automatic Languages: Yuan-ti and Common. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Terran.
- Favored Classes: Ranger or Wizard.