The Water Margin
The Order is a mysterious conspiracy, rumored to be a loose affiliation of extremely powerful psions who pursue trascendental power for the sake of pure knowledge. Most people consider the Order to be little more than a fevered myth propagated by gullible or crazed individuals.
Rumors about the Order include:
- The Order actively polices other psions, but is so powerful that even other mindbenders don’t know it.
- The Order has skirmished with the Dragon in the past, to a stalemate.
- The Order is as old as the sorcerer-kings.
- The Order helps to prop up the regime of the sorcerer-kings, acting as a sort of secret police for them.
- The Order has its own headquarters somewhere in the Tablelands, but it is so powerfully protected by telepathic misdirection that nobody who is not of the Order can find it.
- . . . or it’s folded into extradimensional space via Psychoportation, so you can’t reach it unless you are an extremely powerful psion.
- . . . or it’s outside of time, and only a Clairsentient of extreme power can find egress.
- The Order really hates people who use psionic abilities for anything other than the pursuit of pure mental exploration.
- The Order regularly creates psionic trinkets and leaves them to be found by “lucky” individuals. These trinkets are actually gifts (or curses) to help (or hinder) those chosen by the Order for a specific destiny or role.
- The Order isn’t actually a humanoid organization, but an organization of some far older beings.
- The Order could transform Athas back into a verdant paradise, but doesn’t. Because they’re dicks.